In Big Crater, you can find colored sands. It is not only the place where kids can fill bottles, but it is also a starting point for tracks.
Table of Contents
- Check the best car rental deals at rentalcars.com.
- Get 5% off for your next vacation at Isrotel.
- Get 10% off for your next tour at Bein Harim with coupon code LEV10#12306.
Colored Sands is located about twelve km from Yeruham, inside HaMakhtesh HaGadol (Makhtesh Yeruham). And while driving from Yeruham on road #225, you will see a sign pointing to the left.
If you are driving from Yeruham, consider making a stop at Mount Avnon Lookout.
Interactive map of the area:
And here is a photo of a map of the HaMakhtesh HaGadol:
You can see the colored sands to the right of the map.
Always open. But keep in mind there are no artificial lights.
As you exit road #225, you will see large and free parking.
What can you find at Colored Sands?
At colored sands, you can find parking, picnic tables, and of course colored sands. Moreover, this can be the starting point for the hikes to the small fin or the big fin (ridges that received the name due to the similarity to a fish fin).
At Colored Sands
Tip: when visiting with kids, many people bring small transparent bottles. Then child fill the vessels with layers of different colored sand.
We had a small bottle and both my daughters were busy for an hour.
The original plan was to hike to the small fin, but as I learned the hard way there is no celular reception. Even when I climbned to the top of one hills, I could not get a signal. Thus, if you want to hike in the area, bring a paper map.
Here are additional photos of the colored sands:
Colored Sands in the Big Crater is a lovely place, and I recommend making a stop there. And if you visit with kids do not forget to bring a transparent container. Moreover, you can make a picnic or start hiking from this point.
There are many attractions in this area, and you can explore them using the interactive map above. And also check out the post about HaMakhtesh HaGadol.
Have you visited Colored Sands in Big Crater? Tell us in the comment below about your experience.
That’s all for today, and I’ll see you in future travels!
Additional ResourcesHere are several resources that I created to help travelers:
- Israel Trip Planner is the page that will help you to create your perfect travel route.
- National Parks And Nature Reserves page lists and put all national parks on the map. There is also a top list, information about ticket types and campsites.
- If you are looking for things to do, here are the pages for Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa, Sea Of Galilee, and Makhtesh Ramon.
- Wondering what events are there in Israel? Here is the Events And Festivals By Season guide.