Mount Avnon is located on the edge of HaMakhtesh HaGadol (Makhtesh Yeruham). And from Mount Avnon Lookout, you can see the whole big crater.
Table of Contents
- Check the best car rental deals at rentalcars.com.
- Get 5% off for your next vacation at Isrotel.
- Get 10% off for your next tour at Bein Harim with coupon code LEV10#12306.
Mount Avnon is located about four km from Yeruham. And while driving from Yeruham on road #225, you will see a sign pointing to the left.
Interactive map of the area:
And here is a photo of a map of the HaMakhtesh HaGadol:
You can see Mount Avnon and the top of the map.
The Road to Mount Avnon Lookout
Any car can reach Mount Avnon Lookout, but the road is not the best (you can see the road in the following image). On the way, you will see the remains of Petroleum Explorers Camp. And you continue driving along the black trail.
At the end of the road, by the edge of the crater, you will find parking.
Always open. But keep in mind there are no artificial lights.
From the parking, you can follow the black trail to the lookout.
You can also go to any point on the edge of HaMakhtesh HaGadol to get a similar view, but Mount Avnon Lookout has two benefits.
First of all, as you can see in the next photo, there are railings. It was vital for me since we visited with kids.
Secondly, Mount Avnon Lookout is not located at the top of the edge (there are stairs down). Thus it is less windy there.
And here are several views of HaMakhtesh HaGadol from Mount Avnon Lookout:
Mount Avnon Lookout is a lovely place, and I recommend stopping there if you pass in the area. A visit to the lookout will not take much time, but it will allow seeing the whole HaMakhtesh HaGadol. Moreover, many people recommend visiting during sunrise. The light will be beautiful during sunrise, and there is a chance of cloud surfing.
There are many attractions in this area, and you can explore them using the interactive map above.
Have you visited Mount Avnon Lookout? Tell us in the comment below about your experience.
That’s all for today, and I’ll see you in future travels!
Additional ResourcesHere are several resources that I created to help travelers:
- Israel Trip Planner is the page that will help you to create your perfect travel route.
- National Parks And Nature Reserves page lists and put all national parks on the map. There is also a top list, information about ticket types and campsites.
- If you are looking for things to do, here are the pages for Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa, Sea Of Galilee, and Makhtesh Ramon.
- Wondering what events are there in Israel? Here is the Events And Festivals By Season guide.