There are many trails on Mount Carmel, and Finger Cave is a lovely loop and short trail that leads you to a stunning cave.
Finger Cave Trail starts at the Nahal Oren parking near Oren junction. It is located several kilometers from the intersection of roads #721 and #4. And the easiest way to get there is to enter “Finger Cave” to Waze.
Interactive map of the area:
- Hotels, hostels, and appartments in this area:
Here is an interactive map from israelhiking.osm.org.il where the two most popular trails are marked:
And here are the details of those tracks:
|#||Name||Color of the Trail on the Map above||Description||Distance (km)||Total climb and descent (meters)||Notes|
|1||The most popular hike||Blue||Circular trail||2.4||286||This hike takes 2 – 4 hours.|
|2||To the Finger Cave and back||Red||Follow the same trail in both directions||0.7||112||Use the black trail.|
The trail goes in open nature. Thus you can do it anytime. But because there is no artificial illumination, hike only during the daylight.
Free. But on Saturday, parking per car costs 36 NIS.
We started at Nahal Oren parking and continued with the black route. At some point, we switched to the Israeli National Trail.
View towards Haifa (to the North):
This tree stump looks like some artwork was made on it. Not sure if it is human-made or created by some insects:
Finger Cave got its name from the shape of its opening, which looks like a giant thumb.
The cave is quite big and wide. You can walk in it standing upright.
View from the inside of the Finger Cave:
Overall, this is an excellent and relatively short hike. But, if you are out of shape, some climbs can be a little hard. The difficulty level of this route is defined as a medium.
As for most trails in Israel, I recommend hiking while it is not too hot (early mornings) and not after rain.
For additional attractions nearby, check Haifa.
Additional ResourcesHere are several resources that I created to help travelers:
- Israel Trip Planner is the page that will help you to create your perfect travel route.
- National Parks And Nature Reserves page lists and put all national parks on the map. There is also a top list, information about ticket types and campsites.
- If you are looking for things to do, here are the pages for Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa, Sea Of Galilee, and Makhtesh Ramon.
- Wondering what events are there in Israel? Here is the Events And Festivals By Season guide.