It is not the first time I am visiting Ein Afek Nature Reserve. But this time, it was different since we attended the Bird Ringing event.
- See the full guide about this nature reserve at Ein Afek.
- If you want to find additional info about animals and wildlife, then check out Zoos and Aquariums in Israel.
But let’s start at the beginning. We arrived early and had time before the bird ringing session, thus decided to take a stroll.
Stroll at Ein Afek
And it was time for the bird ringing event. In the beginning, our guide explained about migration process (this was aimed at adults and children). As you can see on the map, northern birds migrate to Africa through Israel or Spain.
Why do they migrate? Food. Finding food in cold winter and under snow is hard. Then why do they return? Because by Spring, there is plenty of food in the north, and there is no rivalry.
Do you want to guess how many birds fly through Israel every year? Around 500 million birds, and the numbers are growing each year.
There is a particular system to which people from over the world enter the ring number and other parameters, like bird weight and wingspan.
This way, they can track bird movement and learn their behavior. For example, they can now determine how long each bird type lives.
Even with today’s technology, the ring is a piece of metal with a serial number. The reason is size and weight. Some birds are tiny and weigh only 5-6 grams. The smallest electronics device would weigh at least a couple of grams. That is half the bird’s weight. That’s too much. And this simple ring weighs 0.2 grams.
Visiting The Tel
From the Tel, we descended to the parking lot and drove home.
That’s all for today. I hope you liked this Ein Afek post, and I’ll see you in future travels!
Here are several resources that I created to help travelers:
- Israel Trip Planner is the page that will help you to create your perfect travel route.
- National Parks And Nature Reserves page lists and put all national parks on the map. There is also a top list, information about ticket types and campsites.
- If you are looking for things to do, here are the pages for Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa, Sea Of Galilee, and Makhtesh Ramon.
- Wondering what events are there in Israel? Here is the Events And Festivals By Season guide.
And if you have any questions then check out Useful Information For Tourists To Israel.